This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through these links I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! Learn more.
Bubur Ketan Hitam is a flavorful Indonesian sticky black rice porridge made with coconut milk, and pure unprocessed palm sugar. You can eat it either hot or cold, both equally delicious.
It makes for a perfect breakfast, dessert, or bowl of comfort when you need one.
When I was a little girl, one of my aunts always made this for me when I went to her house.
Bless her heart. Now that I am grown up, I appreciate that she always made it for me even more. It’s not just that she gave me a lovely childhood memory, I now also realize this is not a quick two minute microwave porridge. It doesn’t involve a lot of work, but it does take time and patience.
Want to come back to it? Pin it!
- 1 cup black glutinous rice
- 750 ml water
- 100 grams gula jawa (unrefined palm sugar)
- 1/2 tea spoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- sliced banana (optional)
- Gently rinse the black rice. Soak the rice in a bowl of water for at least 6 hours up to an overnight.
- Bring water to a boil, add the rice, then turn the temperature to low. Cover, and let simmer for about 60 minutes. You want the rice to be tender and most of the liquid to be absorbed. Stir from time to time to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk with salt, and let sit at room temperature. The salt will highlight the sweetness of the rice.
- During the last 15 minutes or so, melt the Gula Jawa in 50 ml boiling water on low heat to make a syrup. Add this sugar syrup to the rice. Stir and let simmer til it's completely absorbed with the rice.
- Serve the black rice porridge in bowls. Drizzle the salted coconut milk on top. Serve warm or cold.
Now excuse me while i cuddle up with my bowl of black sticky rice love.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes in the comments!