THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE CHECK OUT THE DISCLOSURE POLICIES FOR MORE DETAILS.
Bubur Ketan Hitam is a flavorful Indonesian sticky black rice porridge made with Coconut Milk, and pure unprocessed palm sugar. You can eat it either hot or cold, both equally delicious. It makes for a perfect breakfast, dessert, or bowl of comfort when you need one.
When I was a little girl, my aunt always asked me what I wanted to eat when I went to her house. My answer always was the same. Sticky Black Rice Pudding please! And she always made it, bless her heart. Now that I am grown up, I appreciate that she did even more. It’s not just a dear childhood memory, I now also realize this is not a quick two minute microwave porridge. It doesn’t involve a lot of work, but it does take time and patience. I still love her for that.
- 1 cup black glutinous rice
- 750 ml water
- 100 grams Gula Jawa (unrefined palm sugar)
- 1/2 tea spoon salt
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- sliced banana (optional)
- Gently rinse the black rice. Soak the rice in a bowl of water for at least 6 hours up to an overnight.
- Bring water to a boil, add the rice, then turn the temperature to low. Cover, and let simmer for about 60 minutes. You want the rice to be tender and most of the liquid to be absorbed. Stir from time to time to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk with salt, and let sit at room temperature. The salt will highlight the sweetness of the rice.
- During the last 15 minutes or so, melt the Gula Jawa in 50 ml boiling water on low heat to make a syrup. Add this sugar syrup to the rice. Stir and let simmer til it's completely absorbed with the rice.
- Serve the black rice porridge in bowls. Drizzle the salted coconut milk on top. Serve warm or cold.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes in the comments!
Want to come back to it? Pin it!